Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/gasturbi/public_html/includes/bbcode.php on line 483
gas-turbines.ca • View topic - Tornado Combustor Development

Tornado Combustor Development

All your former Alstom/EGT/Ruston topics here

Tornado Combustor Development

Postby j79guy on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:14 pm

I run across this model of industrial Tornado combustor development, used by Ruston before CFD, and computer simulation. They constructed the whole combustor out of clear plastic, submerged it in water, and then flowed water through the combustor mock up, introducing air bubbles to the water to watch the streams. Pretty clever, the technique could be used today for those who wish to modify a combustor design, or start from scratch, and don't have the money for the simulation/CFD work.
I found it facinating anyways.

[img]
DSC01713.JPG
[/img]

[img]
Tornado-II.JPG
[/img]

[img]
Tornado-I.JPG
[/img]
Attachments
Tornado-I.JPG
Tornado-I.JPG (938.67 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
Tornado-II.JPG
Tornado-II.JPG (891.35 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
DSC01713.JPG
DSC01713.JPG (238.06 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
j79guy
Site Admin

Re: Tornado Combustor Development

Postby TillamookTurbine on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Yea, also to provide some "ground truth" for CFD. I keep hearing how CFD's going to replace us old time test guys. I then remember that calculations said that foam wouldn't damage the carbon-carbon leading edge of the Columbia, too.

Terry
TillamookTurbine

Re: Tornado Combustor Development

Postby f4dj79 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:28 pm

All the years of trial and error coupled with hands on expirence can never be repalced by a computer. I have discovered in my studies that computers are only as good as the stuff that put into them. If you have no expirence or dirt under your finger nails then you have not got a clue. I run into experts everyday at Boeing, until they find out i have thrity years in aviation. I also grew up without computers and did not even mess around with them until the 80's. I guess aero- dynamics does not mean a thing until we look at the NAE project. here we have an F-104 that was built in the 50's by slide rule and paper drawings. One month ago we got finally got it digitized and CFD work do on it. Let me think about this, fifty years have gone by and the F-104 still flies today and in some respcets flies very well and give current jets a run of the money. Here is to the old school method, it should be taught in schools today, what if we suddenly lost elecrtical power?
WB
f4dj79

Return to Alstom/EGT/Ruston