Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/gasturbi/public_html/includes/bbcode.php on line 483
gas-turbines.ca • View topic - F100-PW-100/200

F100-PW-100/200

Commercial & Military

F100-PW-100/200

Postby f4dj79 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:07 pm

I spent a year and half on the F-16A/B at Hill AFB Utah with the F100 engines and I can only say that I am glad the GE110 came along. PW had many issues with F100 that made them weak and prone to falling apart while in the air. The computer control would hickup and the result would be compressor stalls. The fuel control would roll back to idle and if you did not pull the throttle back during this cycling the engine would know it, and schedule more fuel and always give it at the wrong time. The result was a rather loud bang out the tail pipe. It took a lot of time to figure out the anything attched to the gearbox like the fuel control would have troubles as the gearbox failed. I can tell the story of a night ground run that did an uncommanded full throttle, now that might not seem like any big deal, however the wind had shifted during the run a few degrees. Can you imagine being hooked up to a anchor point and have the airplane wind mill around to head into the wind. Wow that was another one of those religous expireneces we engine runners get to talk about. The F-16 was very light and had a lot of power and if you did not watch it the jet would get away from you. We did have a couple get away!!!! Speaking of getting away, the engine operators got extra training, when an F15A at Nellis AFB jumped the chocks. The real trouble with these high thrust to weight jets is when operating up around 80% the power was enough to jump chocks and ground roll if the operator was not on top of things you could run into another jet across the ramp. I saw it at Hill and heard about it at Nellis. Yes two F-15's were seen sharing parts. Hill AFB use to go TDY to Nellis and we got to see the two F-15's that crashed into each other it was another sad day.
I would have to say this final thing the GE110 engines took about 1/3 of the time to get to 90% reliablility then the PW100, the only thing between the two powerplants that was different was GE put more hours into development then PW. PW had the idea of flight testing and repairing the engines on site. GE gave us good engines out of the box. If memory serves me correctly the power output was about 26,000-28,000 with GE have just a touch more thrust. I thinnk my attitude about the first fifty jets was very sour since GD did not give us a reliable airplane. Every one of these first airplanes had many problems it was like flight testing while in combat. Here we are trying to get a ORI comlete and we were grounding the planes becuase something broke. I could on and on about stuff that happened on the F-16 but I will not bore you with it. I really do miss the old F4D jets it was a sad day when the last one was retired and even more sad the J79 was retired. Call me old fashion, but at least with the F4-D we knew it would break in flight and the engines would leak oil. On some occasions we even managed two flights in the same day. It was not until 83-84 when the block 20/30 F-16 came out that the jet started behaving and flying straight. I only wished that GD had the jet in better shape before I left the Air Force I might have a better opinion of the jet. Well that is about all on this subject. next!
WB
f4dj79

Re: F100-PW-100/200

Postby j79guy on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:27 pm

Great stories Bill, keeping digging into the "archives" and tell us a few more.

Robin.
j79guy
Site Admin

Postby f4dj79 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:41 pm

nice A/B photo on test cell

f100_1_high.jpg
f100_1_high.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 3391 times
f4dj79

Postby f4dj79 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:42 pm

close look at an F-100 after overhaul and engine test