S&S Capabilities

List your experiences with repair depots here

S&S Capabilities

Postby TillamookTurbine on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:47 pm

Robin:

I have several programs that may use a J85/CJ610 for research. I have two -5's that were previously used in research and so are in various stages of (dis)-repair. My question to S&S is do you have the capability to spin balance the rotor after replacement of a couple of compressor blades?

One of the -5's has a couple of first stage blades with leading edge damage and a couple of first stage stator flaps have trailing edge damage. This happened during a vicious compressor stall during heavy water injection. As the blades unloaded they snapped forward and kissed the stator in the first stage. I may have a source for parts or may procure them through your sources. I would transport the engine to S&S with AB and controls removed so it's a CJ610 for export questions. This work may develop over the next year or so.

Thanks,
Terry
TillamookTurbine

Re: S&S Capabilities

Postby j79guy on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Terry,

Yes, I do all my dynamic rotor balancing in-house. De/Re blading is routine, and I can source blades, or use yours. I've worked on various models of J85, including the -21 units with full A/B.
You can ship with or without A/B hardware, as the end-use is within The US, it does not fall within ITARS export permit requirements. (It is staying within Canada/US)
If you poke around my website, you can see pictures of the balancing equipment.

At least your engine was a GE and not a (Insert Brand X). "Tip Clang" has wiped out many an engine, but especially those with aluminum compressor blading/stators. I've seen J79s stall over and over again, without incurring compressor damage. J85s have fairly long aspect ratio compressor blades/stators that flex considerably. if you plan to do other compressor abuse trials, I can recommend other aero engines that perhaps would stand up better. (Allison T56 units are tough, compressor-wise.)

Robin.
j79guy
Site Admin

Postby TillamookTurbine on Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:32 pm

Yes, the J85 was little fragile but not half as bad as an F100-200. We completely burned the LPT out of one of those. That's why it's R&D.

If we get any of the programs to use the J85, I'll pull the AB and bring it to you. Not so much for ITAR but because I think I can fit a CJ610 in the back of my Beech Baron and fly to CYXJ in 3 hours instead of a 1000 mile drive.

Terry
TillamookTurbine

Postby j79guy on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Terry,

I'll trade you. You fly your Beech Baron up here, and I'll let you drive my pickup truck back.

Robin Sipe.
j79guy
Site Admin

Postby TillamookTurbine on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:13 pm

Remind of that the next time that I have to pull the lower cowls off to change the bottom plugs, and I may take you up on it.

Terry
TillamookTurbine

Postby j79guy on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:16 pm

If anyone is interested, one of my techs posts some of our test runs on youtube.
Do a search for "S&S Turbines" and you will find them. Click on the posting person's name, "AgentJayZ" and you will see all his videos, including all test runs at the S&S cell.
There's even a couple shots with me in them, but mostly I'm in the booth, running the throttle.

Cheers.

Robin Sipe.
j79guy
Site Admin

Return to Repair Depots