GTF

Here's your chance to vent your feelings on any turbine related topic.

GTF

Postby TillamookTurbine on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:07 pm

There's been a lot of press, lately, about Pratt's push to develop a Geared Turbo Fan (GTF). I have several thousand hours in a GTF; the TFE-731. It's never even scared me. In fact while a UsAir A320 was touching down in the Hudson River, I was 3 hours from land in a Lear powered by TFE-731's enroute from Hawaii to California.

I know that Pratt's challenge to develop the gearbox for a 20K# thrust engine is more than for a 3K# engine, but I'd like to see some recognition that a successful GTF is already in wide use; developed by Garrett.
TillamookTurbine

Re: GTF

Postby j79guy on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:37 pm

He who has the loudest voice..........
Pratt simply carries a lot bigger stick than Honeywell. Pratt messed around with a 5000 Shp turboprop in the late 1950's T34(?) for the Super Connies. I can't imagine the technology for a turboprop reduction gear being any less challenging than that for a geared turbo fan. What about the Honeywell ALF502? isn't it a geared fan?

Robin.
j79guy
Site Admin

Postby TillamookTurbine on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:00 am

I spent about 6 hours in front of Garrett "GTF's" yesterday. Quebec city (CYQB) to Hillsboro, Oregon. I have several thousand hours with 731's and I am very impressed with this 40 year old design.

Canada is a really BIG country. It was a nice day flight and I was able to see a lot of the country side; as much as one can from the 40's. That part of Canada still has lot's of snow. There's a track of the flight at www.flightaware.com . Enter N17LJ . My leg was the first of an medical transport trip that continued on to New Caledonia.

Terry
TillamookTurbine

Postby j79guy on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:07 pm

Yes, every time I fly over Canada, I still am amazed at how big and unpopulated it really is. Last trip to The UK, I flew over Northern Manitoba. It truly does have a thousand lakes (Or more) and almost every one doesn't have road access, and are teaming with fish. Can be nasty in winter though. We still have a wee bit of snow here in YXJ at the tree lines. A turboprop on floats and you could make a good living in summer time ferrying sport fishermen.

Robin
j79guy
Site Admin

Return to Soap Box