Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/gasturbi/public_html/includes/bbcode.php on line 483
gas-turbines.ca • View topic - F-16A/B engines

F-16A/B engines

F-16A/B engines

Postby f4dj79 on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:30 pm

Well here I go sticking my neck out and talking about the first operational F-16's at Hill AFB Utah. The F110 engine that came in the block 00 and 10 aircraft were much better behaved then the PW F100's that came in the first twenty aircrarft. The engines were not the failing parts it was all the other stuff like gear boxes and JFS starters. It was not until block 20 until the got the airplane flying straight. The first aircraft spent alot of time in rework issues. I must have changes out five main gearboxes do to bearing troubles and the heavy loading the generators put the gearbox. The JFS units used hydraulic power to spin them up. Even after fifteen years i can still remember 350 strokes of the hand pump to get enough accumulator pressure to attempt another start. There were times we would connect a hyd. mule to the ship just to start them. It took General Dynamics engineers and airman to finally place a analog gauge on the feed line to the JFS to figure out how much pressure was being used to start the JFS, as it turned out the accumulator was applying full pressure and the small JFS could not take that much pressure. The fix put a pressure regulator on the system, funny thing even the GD technicians were complaining at Fort Worth Texas about the JFS system three years before we got them. All through testing at Edwards AFB Cal. the same problem exsisted. I thought flight testing was suppose to find thing like that. We could into the electrical troubles on the F-16 but that another story for another day. The F110 engine in my opinion saved the F-16.
WB
f4dj79

Re: F-16A/B engines

Postby j79guy on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:24 pm

I've heard this from other souces as well. The F110 engine saved more than a couple aircraft, and were sweetheart engines. Pricey, but great performers.
j79guy
Site Admin

Postby f4dj79 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Robin
The difference was clear during vertical accent from roll out to 30,000fl the F110 has big _alls and lots of power to spare. The PW100-200 would do the job, just bearly. The jet was struggling to keep forward thrust at 25,000fl. The jets we got had F100's and only two got delivery to Hill with F110 during my time there. I only got to watch the new block 10s and what I saw I would have traded my jet for a newer one right then! I got to work on F-16's built in Belgium, Netherlands and Denmark and got to help train the Israelis on their jets. It took almost a year before we got the these jet and everyone of them had the F110, gee imagine that. So I to work on J-212a, J-213b, FA-01a FA-28b and E-174, we did not get to work on any Israeli jets because they did their own thing and GD sent them direct to the home base.
It was alot of fun and hard work for the first two to three years. I got the difficult part during my year and a half. I think we would fix the jet for ten hours and flew it for 1.5 hours. I remember all the in-flight engine shut downs. The problem turned out to be a really bad thing. Hi-locks installed with collars pointing straight up. So picture the back of the F-16 cockpit (either A or B models) there was an area with a cover panel into a open bay. The cover panel was about one foot square. Well the very back and on top of this bay was a row of sixteen fasteners that from the factory were installed correctly by drawing but by logic were clearly upside down. Normally this would not be a problem, except this is were five or six wire bundles went past either to the C/B panels below or to the engine bay. Who would have known that, as the jet was flying there was a nose push up or down depending on the manuver that would pull the wires tight across the highlocks. Then the twisting motion would cause a sawing action across the hi-locks. If you guessed that the wires got cut you were right. We saw this after 200hrs of flight time. I had to chase several airplane that would emergency land at Wendover AFB Nevada. We got lucky on our jets we only lost two while I was there. Both losses were do to wiring issues. The engines both of them worked ok as long as the wires fed them the right info. I suppose I am really sticking my neck out on some of these stories but what the H. I have never been known to keep it quite forever.
WB
f4dj79

Postby f4dj79 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:52 pm

exterior photos of the F110-100/400, -129 and 132

engines_f110_ge_100.jpg
engines_f110_ge_100.jpg (5.61 KiB) Viewed 4140 times

engines_f110_ge_129-1.jpg
engines_f110_ge_129-1.jpg (6.09 KiB) Viewed 4148 times

engines_f110_132.jpg
engines_f110_132.jpg (5.32 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
f4dj79