Good reads.

Good reads.

Postby j79guy on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:21 pm

Good sources of turbine history, or information:

The Development of Jet and Turbine Aero Engines.
Bill Gunston
ISBN 1-85260-463-8
I like Bill's books, he pulls no punches and calls a spade a spade.

German Jet Engine And Gas Turbine Development 1930-1945
Antony L. Kay
ISBN 1-84037-294-X
An eye opener, just to read about all the turbine engine development that was going on during the war years in Germany. The basics for many of 1950's and 1960's engine were laid out in this time, and were produced by various manufacturers after the war.

Turbojet History And Development 1930-1960 Volumes 1 & 2
Antony L. Kay
ISBN 978-1-861269-12-6 (Vol-1) 978-1-861269-39-3 (Vol-2)
In the same vein as above, amazing detail in both books. Must-haves, if you like turbojet history.

The Gas Turbine Engine
Jan P. Norbye
ISBN 0-8019-5753-2
An amazing book, covers every, and I mean every automotive application of turbine engines, by OEM's, race teams and one off experimental projects. Lots of detail, and obscure trivia. Highly recommended for anyone contemplating putting a turbine into a mobile application.
Good luck finding this one, and no, I'm not lending my copy.

Jet Aircraft Power Systems
Casamassa and Bent
(Pre-ISBN)
An old text book, but a highly recommended read. Great, basic detail as to all auxiliary power systems, and chapters on "representative engines", some of which went on to be truly great engines, some never to be seen again.

More to come as I get books back from everybody I've lent them too!

Robin.
j79guy
Site Admin

Re: Good reads.

Postby j79guy on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:36 am

Picked up Jack D. Mattingly's book, "Elements of Gas Turbine Propulsion" Not a light read! Full of formulae and all the elements of gas turbine theory and practical applications.
Not for the lay technician though, unless you have a solid base in mathematics, or want to.
The book is a must-have, but is a bit light on the thermodynamics side, and there are a few practical mistakes in the book. (Not in the theory or formulas that I found, rather the hands-on aspects, and/or the actual construction of existing turbojet engines.)
Highly recommended.

Robin.
j79guy
Site Admin

Return to Recommended Books