Orenda Iroquois PS-13

Orenda Iroquois PS-13

Postby Hawkeye on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:07 pm

At the National Aviation Museum in Ottawa. Photo not taken by me, borrowed from wikipedia. Wouldn't it be amazing to hear one of these run again?

Hawkeye

Re: Orenda Iroquois PS-13

Postby j79guy on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:27 pm

A few years ago, I tracked down an Iroquois engine that was shipped to The UK for evaluation. It was broken down into modules, but not de-milled. Serial Number x116, I believe.
Still there as far as I know. We talked to the fellow in charge of storage of the unit, and to quote him, "We are waiting for the Canadians to put together a lucid proposal to ship the engine back to Canada, which we would be willing to do." Yes, it would be great to hear one run again, and it could be done. The Canadian Iroquois engines were all "damaged", to prevent them from ever running again. However the damage to each is relatively superficial, and did not harm the actual rotors. Blades can be replaced, and cases patched. Would they ever be flight worthy? No. But could they run on a test cell, for historical purposes? Certainly.
However, current opinion holds that we should prefer to look at the sad, damaged engines and mutter about the legacy that could have been, instead of ressurrecting them.

Robin Sipe.
j79guy
Site Admin

Re: Orenda Iroquois PS-13

Postby j79guy on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Update! Iroquois engine S/N X-116 is now back on Canadian soil! (In my shop in fact.) Yes, it is a Mk-II, yes it will need a lot of work, but yes, someday this engine will run again. All I can say at this time, but I've tracked down manuals, some parts and so the resurrection process begins. Some video footage has been posted on you-tube, and can be found by searching "S&S Turbines"
I'll post a few pictures over time as I can.

Robin Sipe.
j79guy
Site Admin

Return to The Museum